2-Part Live Online Webinar
August 25 & 26, 2021 | 9:30 AM - 12:30 PM Pacific Time each day
After disasters or adverse events, many people who are experiencing stress reactions may not self-identify a need for mental health support or self-refer for care. SPR is a flexible, evidence-based model that helps providers teach core skills—problem-solving, behavioral activation, management of stress reactions, helpful thinking, and rebuilding healthy social connections—to help reduce distress and improve functioning.
This interactive online course trains lay professionals and providers responding to disasters, as well as those working to bolster resilience-building skills. In addition to reviewing the core skills of SPR and their application in different settings, expert advice, scripts, video examples, and case studies are included. Additional information and tips are included for working with children after disasters.Goals and Objectives:
- Describe the core components of Skills for Psychological Recovery (SPR).
- Define the purpose of the SPR skill-building approach in both disaster and other settings.
- Apply the core components of SPR to case scenarios in both disaster and other settings.
- Operationalize skill-building strategies that will help supervisors train lay professionals who can have a broader impact on disaster-affected individuals who may not be willing to present to formal mental health treatment.
Presented by: Patricia Watson, PhD
Continuing Education Units: 6 CEUs
This training is approved for 6 CEUs by the following professional organizations:
- National Association of Alcohol & Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC)
- National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC)*
- International Certification & Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC)
*CASAT has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6492. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. CASAT is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Nevada Board of Examiners for Alcohol, Drug, & Gambling Counselors
- Nevada State Board of Nursing
- Board of Examiners for Marriage and Family Therapists and Clinical Professional Counselors
- State of Nevada Board of Examiners for Social Workers
- Nevada Certificate Board (PRSS and CHW)
Presentation materials are not for reproduction or distribution without specific written authorization.The opinions, findings, conclusions, and recommendations expressed in our courses are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the official views of CASAT.