The workshop will focus on the disconnect between African Americans and Mental Health Services. Human Service Professionals will identify the disparity, increase awareness, and gain valuable culturally competent tools to better service their clients.
- Participants will develop an awareness of Minority Mental Health disparities from childhood to adulthood
- Participants will become aware of barriers such as historical trauma and barriers
- Participants will become aware of Minority Mental Health & The Justice System
- At the end of the workshop, participants will be able to identify and utilize effective tools such as cultural competency skills to better service their clients
Presented by: Shameka Green, MS, LMFT, CGCS
Shameka Green is a best selling author, motivational speaker, therapist, and certified grief counselor. Shameka holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice and Master of Science degree in Marriage & Family Therapy. She enjoys teaching workshops on Minority Mental Health and is an adjunct instructor for the Counseling Department at Nevada State College. Shameka is the founder of Emma’s House Inc., a nonprofit organization that provides self-empowerment programs for girls and children of incarcerated parents. In addition to being a therapist, instructor, and leader, Shameka is a highly renowned self-published author who holds recognition such as “Author’s Hall of Fame” and “Indie Legacy Trailblazer Author of the Year Nominee”. Shameka’s recent passion is her book publishing company that empowers women to “Turn Their Pain Into Purpose” by writing their story.
Location: This in-person class will take place in Las Vegas, NV. Specific location TBD.
Continuing Education Units:
This training is approved for 6 CEUs by the following professional organizations:
- Nevada Board of Examiners for Alcohol, Drug, & Gambling Counselors
- Nevada State Board of Nursing
- Board of Examiners for Marriage and Family Therapists and Clinical Professional Counselors
- State of Nevada Board of Examiners for Social Workers
*CASAT has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6492. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. CASAT is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.Presentation materials are not for reproduction or distribution without specific written authorization. The opinions, findings, conclusions, and recommendations expressed in our courses are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the official views of CASAT.
- National Association of Alcohol & Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC)
- National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC)*
- International Certification & Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC)
Please do not attend if you or anyone in your immediate household are experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms or if you or anyone in your immediate household are currently awaiting a COVID-19 test result. Effective Friday, July 30, 2021, the University will follow the State of Nevada's mask mandate, requiring all students, employees and members of the public to wear masks indoors, regardless of vaccination status. Please visit the University of Nevada, Reno's Coronavirus Dashboard for the latest information.