IN-PERSON TRAINING | PASSWORD REQUIRED*
Grounded in current research and SAMHSA’s Strategic Prevention Framework, this foundational training helps practitioners develop the knowledge and skills needed to plan, implement, and evaluate effective, data-driven programs and practices that reduce behavioral health disparities and improve wellness.
- Define behavioral health and its relationship to substance misuse
- Describe the Strategic Prevention Framework, SAMHSA’s five-step planning model
- Identify the needs of vulnerable populations in order to improve cultural competency and more effectively address behavioral health disparities
- Discuss effective approaches to collaborating across sectors to sustain prevention outcomes
- Introduction to Substance Abuse Prevention: Understanding the Basics (online)
- Basic terminology and facts
- History of substance use and prevention in the U.S.
- Addiction and the brain
- Effects and health risks of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs
- Setting the Foundation: From Theory to Practice (in-person)
- Behavioral health
- Institute of Medicine’s Continuum of Care
- Public health approach
- Risk and protective factors
- Developmental perspective
- Application: SAMHSA’s Strategic Prevention Framework (in-person)
- Assessment, capacity, planning, implementation, and evaluation
- Cultural competence, sustainability
*IMPORTANT NOTE*: Completion of the free Pre-SAPST workshop is a prerequisite to this course. Please create an account and register for the pre-course with the instructions below. This pre-requisite must be completed in order to finish registration for the 4-day in-person SAPST.
- Set up a free account at HealtheKnowledge.org
- Locate the course “Introduction to Substance Abuse Prevention: Understanding the Basics (Pre-SAPST Course)” under the “Substance Misuse Prevention Essentials” section
- Participants will receive a certification of completion indicating five hours of continuing education after completing a short quiz at the end and receiving a passing score of 80% or higher. After you complete this course, download and email your certificate of completion to CASAT Learning at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once we receive your certificate for the Pre-SAPST, you will be sent the password required to complete registration for the 4-day In-Person SAPST.
- The deadline to submit the pre-requisite certification and complete registration is August 13, 2022.
DATE | TIME: September 6-9, 2022 | 8:30 am - 4:30 pm (PST)
PRESENTED BY: Novlette Mack, CPS and Rick Collins, MS, CPS
LENGTH: 4 days (in-person) plus 5 hours online
Practitioners new to the substance abuse prevention field and/or working in related disciplines.
Participants completing the Virtual SAPST will receive two (2) certificates of completion totaling 31 hours of participation:
- 5 hours for completing the self-paced online course
- 26 for the in-person conference sessions
This training is approved for CEUs by the following professional organizations:
- National Association of Alcohol & Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC)
- National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC)*
- International Certification & Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC)
*CASAT has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6492. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. CASAT is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Nevada Board of Examiners for Alcohol, Drug, & Gambling Counselors
- Nevada State Board of Nursing
- Board of Examiners for Marriage and Family Therapists and Clinical Professional Counselors
- State of Nevada Board of Examiners for Social Workers
Presentation materials are not for reproduction or distribution without specific written authorization. The opinions, findings, conclusions, and recommendations expressed in our courses are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the official views of CASAT.